I recently had the pleasure of exploring the UAE (United Arab Emirates) capital, Abu Dhabi. For those of you who don’t know, Abu Dhabi is one of the seven emirates that make up the United Arab Emirates, and the second most populous city after Dubai, located south-east of the Arabian Peninsula on the Persian Gulf.

Flight







I had the pleasure of flying with Etihad airlines. Genuinely speaking, it was my best flight experience to date. From the smooth check in, to the warm welcoming from the cabin crew. The plane interior stood out to me. I really liked the brown aesthetic. Oh and I haven’t even gotten to how delicious the food on board was. Truth be told, I normally make sure I buy food before boarding the plane just in case the food isn’t cutting it BUT on this occasion, I didn’t actually need it. The menu offers a choice of dishes including a vegetarian option. You also get a free choice of drinks ranging from soft drinks, alcoholic beverages, coffee or tea.


On my way to Abu Dhabi from London, I flew economy. I had the whole row to myself as many others did too. probably due to covid and social distancing. Going out the flight duration was 7hr 15mins. Exhausted from all the pre travel prep I spent a significant amount of time sleeping so I didn’t manage to utilise the in flight entertainment.


On my way home, I flew business and my experience was surreal. I didn’t feel like I was flying at all, that’s how comfortable I was. I spoke about enjoying the food in economy but the menu in business was so prestigious. The mains included, beef tenderloin, seared sea bass, chicken margooga and casarecce pasta. For dessert, I had a rose milk cake. Quite frankly, at some points I wished the flight was longer. Although I wasn’t tired on the flight back, I wanted to try out the ‘bed’ for experience sake and ohh it was so cosy! My heart sunk when the landing announcement was made and we had to put our seats in landing position. I just wished I had a bit more time. 


Where I stayed

The W hotel, Yas Island. Only 10 minutes away from Abu Dhabi airport. This 5 star hotel is located within the Yas Marina circuit - offering spectacular views of one of the worlds most advanced formula 1 circuits.





Where I ate

I had all my meals in the W hotel. For breakfast, I ate at ‘Garage’, they offered a well diversified buffet style selection. There was something for everyone, you just felt at home. This is probably the reason I didn’t feel the need to eat else where. You were able to request a take away box, just incase you were full or wanted to save food for later. For lunch you could return for an a la carte menu. I personally didn’t have lunch because I was already filled up from a breakfast and had probably left with a take away box however, I did have dinner and drinks the W lounge. The luxurious interior had a very pleasant ambience to it. Again, the menu options were broad so it was bound to cater to everyone’s needs.






Places I visited

Due to covid, in order to access public centres in Abu Dhabi, a green status on the Alhosn app is mandatory. A green status is given to fully vaccinated people and is valid for 30 days with a negative PCR test. Those exempt from being vaccinated can also obtain a green status on the app as long as they have a negative PCR which is valid for 7 days. When the PCR test is no longer valid, the status on the app will change to grey and access to public places would be denied.


Personally, I had trouble activating my AlHosn app. Luckily, this issue was wide spread for a lot of tourists; so the alternative to using the app was presenting the vaccination certificate from your country of origin and showing a negative PCR test which was valid for 7 days.


Wearing a covid mask is mandatory at all times except when seated and at a restaurant and when standing to take a photo. Those who don’t comply risk being fined 3,000 AED.



  1. Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque




You cannot go to Abu Dhabi without visiting the Grand Mosque! Firstly, entry is free (so you have no excuse) and more importantly - it is one of the worlds largest mosques, with one of the most exquisite architectural structures, no surprise considering it cost 2 Billion dirhams ( ~400 million gbp) to build. The attention to detail was phenomenal! Something I urge you to experience in person.


Fun fact: The mosque is named after the late first president of the UAE who contributed to its construction.


Dress code:

Women - hair must be covered and long sleeved clothing and long bottoms must be worn. An abaya can be provided at the entrance which can be worn on top of your clothes.


Men - long bottoms (no shorts)


Entry: Free but online booking is recommended

Distance: 30 mins via taxi from Yas Island






  1. The Louvre, Abu Dhabi

For the art lovers, I highly recommend a visit to the Louvre. If you’re like me, you’re probably wondering how it has the same name as the famous Louvre museum situated in Paris and the answer is the UAE government paid the French government 525 million dollars to use the name for 30.5 year!


Located in Saadiyat Island, it is the largest art museum in the Arabian Peninsula. After 10 years of construction, It was established in 2017 as France’s largest cultural project abroad. This immaculate structure was designed by architect Jean Nouvel.


Personally, my favourite part of the museum had to be the dome structure! I was fascinated by the light and shadow play casted by the perforated dome and made sure to arrive around midday so I could see the best light play. I also loved views of  the dome front the outside where it is surrounded by beautifully blue water, It is just surreal. There are also 12 galleries which showcase human creativity.


The museum is also home to the prestigious French brasserie, Fouquet’s restaurant open for a relaxed fine dining experience or for the more adventurous, a kayaking tour of the museum is available - which I will definitely be going back for!


Dress code: No set dress code



Entry: 60 AED Adult

Kayaking tour: 126 AED

Distance: 20 mins via taxi from Yas Island









  1. Qasr Al Watan

Unsurprisingly, the Presidential palace is one of the UAEs most iconic landmarks. It can be found at the end of the pristine Corniche road and lies next to the Emirates Palace. This building was initially to receive political and religious leaders but later opened to the general public in 2019 to show case UAE heritage.


The architecture was extraordinary. No wonder it has been listed as one of the best landmarks in the world. 


You can expect to pass through a security check upon entry at the visitors centre. You are then transported to the Presidential Palace by a bus where you are free to roam about. A booked tour should take you approximately 2-3 hours. You can find a restaurant, and souvenir shop located within the palace. 


I arrived at the palace around midday. Which in hindsight wasn’t the best time in my opinion, only because of how intense the sun was. It meant I wasn’t able to enjoy the exterior as well as I would have liked to. 


On the bright side, the interior was pretty empty which gave me the opportunity to admire the intricate design work without any distractions which was priceless.



Dress code:

Ladies - long sleeved shirt ( no crop tops) and long skirt or bottoms

Men - long bottoms ( no shorts)

Entry: 60 AED Adult / 30 AED Kids

Distance: 45 mins via taxi from Yas Island






  1. Ferrari World

To my fellow adrenaline junkies, you could take a visit to Ferrari World. An indoor theme park located on Yas Island, in Yas Marina mall. Home to the worlds fastest roller coaster, Formula Rossa. Honestly, I couldn’t be staying around the corner from the fastest ride in the world and not give it a go. 


When I visited. It was actually very quiet. Probably due to covid and schools being in sessions but I’m not complaining, I loved it like this. I managed to get on Formula Rossa twice due to the lack of queues.


For me there were only two other exciting rides after Formula Rossa and after that I was ready to go home.


Personally, I don’t think the indoor theme park was worth the money as it is targeted more towards kids but if you have little ones and fancy a family day out there is something for everyone. With that being said, although I thought it was a bit over priced, I still really enjoyed my experience and now have bragging right considering I survived the fastest ride in the world, not once but twice BACK TO BACK! 


Dress code: No set dress code

Entry: From 295 AED adult / 230 AED kids

Distance: 5 mins via taxi from Yas Island







  1. Polaris drift circuit

Another recommended visit for my fellow adrenaline junkies. A driving experience like no other, located within the Yas marina circuit. You get trained by a professional, then you can take the wheels for a spin on a wet course.


I enjoyed this experience more than I expected considering I am an overly cautious driver but after being reassure that the Polaris was not able to flip over I was confident enough to let loose!


Dress code: No set dress code

Entry: 249 AED

Distance: 10 mins via taxi from Yas Island





  1. Emirates tours & Safari (Half-Day Desert Safari)

Touring the desert in a jeep was a surreal experience. It started off with dune dashing which will have your heart in your throat (this was my favourite part)! Probably better then a rollercoaster ride in my opinion. Followed by a visit to a camel farm just before watching the sunset from the dunes. We then arrived at a traditional Arabic camp in which we had the opportunity to sand board and camel ride. I opted out of sand boarding because I didn’t want to get dirty if I’m being honest. After a short ride, we had a flavoursome and filling dinner. The lights were turned off for a while for some star gazing and the night ended with a memorable belly dance. 


Dress code: No set dress code

Entry: 220 AED

Distance: 1 hour from Yas Island, you get picked up








Best time to visit


April - May / September - October


For best weather December - March


To conclude, I had an amazing 4 days in Abu Dhabi. The only thing I would change is the duration I had stayed, I wish it had been longer. There were so many more things I wish I had done ie beach visits but I find that saving something to come back for can be all part of the fun of travelling! 


I hope sharing my experience helps somewhat when it comes to planning your trip to Abu Dhabi. Find your tickets and discover the wonderful world of Abu Dhabi